Grid ref: TQ 588 803 (click for o/s map)
Mouse over links for pictures; click for detail page.
Former farmland in the Mardyke valley that has been planted and landscaped by Thurrock Council and Essex & Suffolk Water, supported by local volunteers and the Thames Chase Community Forest team. It also includes a pumping station containing huge diesel pumps, now disused, and is overlooked by an impressive railway viaduct dating from 1892.
It has meadows running along the MarDyke river, maturing woodland, ponds and a small wetland, and is a particularly good place to see water voles and marsh frogs, both in the ponds and along the Mardyke
On the B186 (Pilgrims Lane) between South Ockendon and Chafford Hundred. Leave the A13(T) or the M25 at their junction and head east on the A1306 towards Chafford Hundred/Grays, turning right where it crosses the B186. The entry is on the left about 200m up.
Several bus services from Romford or South Ockendon to Lakeside run along Pilgrims Lane.
Accessible at all times.
Surfaced paths run all round the site.